In today’s fast-paced, consumer-driven world, reaching your potential customers translates to success. It is a vital factor for any business to survive and while traditional channels like the newspaper may play a role, there’s nothing quite like Internet Marketing to help you reach your target audiences at an affordable cost.
While Internet Marketing may be the fastest most effective channel to expose your business and reach your target audiences, it won’t be as effective if you do not stay up-to-date on the changes that take place almost daily in this volatile, ever-changing world.
It is a fact that only the most innovative entrepreneurs are able to survive this rapidly evolving landscape. One of the greatest changes that define internet marketing is mobile technology. It cannot be denied that smartphone users are on the rise, and to continue to satisfy this growing number, every company should make their sites mobile-friendly, and easy to navigate on mobile devices.
Exciting Mobile User Stats
Here are some interesting statistics to help you understand the importance of mobile marketing; according to Smart Insights, 80% of internet users own a smartphone while 25% of the world is mobile only while a ComScore Study shows that 68% of digital media time is spent on mobile. The same study reports that mobile devices now account for 2 of every 3 minutes spent online. A KoMarketing study goes on to show that 40% of smartphone users are searching for B2B products using their devices.
These numbers mean that every second, there are millions of internet users browsing the web, finding information and products while on-the-go.
Leveraging Mobile-Friendly Web Design
To capitalize on the increased use of mobile devices, it is important to ensure that your website is mobile-friendly. While millions of websites are being built daily, most of them don’t meet their objectives and this is mostly because they are not adapted for mobile use.
Statistics from Alexa show that 82% of the top 100 websites use adaptive web design which means they are able to tap into the growing mobile internet traffic. If you are looking to join these top performers, below are some tips to help you create a mobile-friendly website design:
- Size Matters – Internet users on mobile phones and other gadgets find it frustrating having to look for buttons or straining to read the text because the font size is too small. Make sure that your font size is at least 14px while buttons should be large enough to allow for easier navigation. Mobile leaders recommend that buttons should be at least 44px by 44px to allow for maximal user experience.
- Avoid Popups and Refreshes – Popups on mobile websites negatively affect the user experience and must be avoided. Do away with periodic refreshes, which will clog the device’s limited cache and lead to slow browsing speed.
- Include a Viewport Meta Tag – This is a must-have on your mobile website as it allows search engines to scale and size your site. Without a viewport Meta tag, your mobile site won’t operate on mobile devices.
- Keep It Simple – Of course, every web designer wants to impress but then you have to consider your main objective which is improving usability; a key factor in a good user experience. Avoid clutter and make the design simple by avoiding tables, frames, and unnecessary formatting.
- Minimize Text Entry – Text entry, especially during navigation is cumbersome and a major turnoff for mobile users. Use drop-down menus, checklists, and image selections instead to aid navigation.
- Use Pages – Don’t try to cram all your desktop content onto one single page on your mobile website. Instead, break down the pages into smaller sections. Avoid including low-priority content and to avoid scrolling, stick to a single column of wrapped text.
- Image Scaling – Images should scale correctly against your content and background to maximize user experience, and comply with your page settings whether portrait or landscape.
These tips would provide you with a great start if you are planning to leverage the growing numbers of internet users on mobile via a mobile-friendly website.
Now, you might need to look for someone to build your mobile-friendly website for your business. Island Media Management, an integrated digital marketing agency based in Bali – Indonesia, builds mobile-friendly websites that are extremely user-friendly and interactive. A fantastic, friendly and seamless user experience on your website and mobile site would almost ensure the success of your business. Contact us now to start building a website and mobile site that work for your business.